Harbour dredging small Canadian harbours
News - February 28, 2011
The Times & transcript reports that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans is applying for permits that would allow it to remove sand from harbours and dump it further out to sea.It's a pre-emptive move, in case dredging is needed later this year, says Jacques Robichaud of DFO.
"It's based on estimates from previous years, where typically we usually dredge every couple of years," Robichaud says.
The ebb and flow of the tides can render harbours too shallow for boats, so the DFO uses dredgers to remove the sand and dump it outside harbours.
Often, the dredging takes place in the spring to accommodate fisheries but the work can go on spring, summer and fall, usually lasting only a few days. "It's a challenge," Robichaud says. "There are a lot of harbours."
To carry out the work, the federal Department of Public Works needs to acquire a "disposal at sea" permit from Environment Canada.
It must also pass an environmental review. Requests for information on the environmental assessment and permitting process can be addressed to Jayne Roma, Disposal At Sea Program, Environmental Protection Branch, Environment Canada, 16th Floor, Queen Square, 45 Alderney Dr, Dartmouth, NS, B2Y 2N6.
In Kent County, the DFO expects to dredge about 92,000 cubic metres from harbours in Pointe Sapin, Saint-Edouard, Cap Lumiere, Chockpish, Loggiecroft, Blacklands Gully, Barre de Cocagne and Caissie Cape.
In Westmorland County, they expect to remove about 39,000 cubic metres of sediment from harbours at Botsford, Cap Pele, Aboiteaux, Little Cape and Robichaud.
More articles from this category
- INTRACOASTAL WATERWAY, JACKSONVILLE TO MIAMI, MAINTENANCE DREDGING
Contracts & Tenders - August 22, 2014
- Sabine Neches Waterway, Sabine Outer Bar and Outer Bank Channels, Hopper Dredging
Contracts & Tenders - August 21, 2014
- Maintenance Dredging, Great South Bay Channel Federal Navigation Project
Contracts & Tenders - August 20, 2014
- US: company seeks permit for recreational facility in New England
Project Updates - August 19, 2014
- UK: work starts on Clacton to Holland-on-Sea coastal defence project
Project Updates - August 18, 2014
- Key role for Doosan excavators in Polish flood control project
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- UK: £3 million investment will improve waterways for boaters
News - August 14, 2014
- Great Lakes Dredging MATOC - Presolicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 13, 2014
- Pipeline Dredging, GIWW between Rollover Pass and Galveston Causeway - Solicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 12, 2014
- LOWER COLUMBIA RIVER SIDE CHANNELS CLAMSHELL DREDGING 2014 - AWARD
Contracts & Tenders - August 11, 2014
- Work starts on Raritan River dredging project
Project Updates - August 8, 2014
- Mike Hooks Inc awarded Calcasieu River dredging contract
Contracts & Tenders - August 8, 2014
- Cleanup work completed at Waukegan Harbour
Environmental Issues - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- BOEM and East Carolina University sign agreement to evaluate sand resources
Research & Development - August 7, 2014