Jones deliivers on Oregon Inlet dredging funds
Project Updates - February 17, 2012
Congressman Walter B Jones (NC-3) has announced that the US Army Corps of Engineers has followed his request and will allocate US$4.5 million in disaster dollars recently appropriated by Congress to Oregon Inlet.
Jones has been actively working with the Corps of Engineers on the need to direct disaster funding to Oregon Inlet, including a letter he sent last month to the Corps’ Commanding General – Major General Bo Temple.
Oregon Inlet is eligible to receive funding through the Disaster Relief Appropriations Act (H.R. 3672), a bill which Congressman Jones voted for last month and which was signed into law on December 23rd.
HR 3672 provides US$534 million to the US Army Corps of Engineers “for necessary expenses to dredge navigation channels in response to, and repair damage to Corps projects resulting from, a major disaster declared pursuant to the Robert T Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act.”
Jones has emphasized to the Corps that many Corps-maintained channels in Eastern North Carolina, including Oregon Inlet, sustained significant damage in late August of 2011 as a result of Hurricane Irene.
The damage was so severe that President Barack Obama declared every coastal county in Eastern North Carolina to be a disaster area under the Stafford Act.
As a result of that disaster declaration, Oregon Inlet is eligible for the funding included in HR 3672.
Oregon Inlet is “critical to North Carolina’s coastal economy”, said Congressman Jones. “Fishermen and boaters depend on safe navigation through this channel. I am very pleased that the Corps agreed to use the money appropriated by Congress to help address the serious problems at Oregon Inlet.”
More articles from this category
- Maintenance Dredging, Great South Bay Channel Federal Navigation Project
Contracts & Tenders - August 20, 2014
- US: company seeks permit for recreational facility in New England
Project Updates - August 19, 2014
- UK: work starts on Clacton to Holland-on-Sea coastal defence project
Project Updates - August 18, 2014
- Key role for Doosan excavators in Polish flood control project
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- UK: £3 million investment will improve waterways for boaters
News - August 14, 2014
- Great Lakes Dredging MATOC - Presolicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 13, 2014
- Pipeline Dredging, GIWW between Rollover Pass and Galveston Causeway - Solicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 12, 2014
- LOWER COLUMBIA RIVER SIDE CHANNELS CLAMSHELL DREDGING 2014 - AWARD
Contracts & Tenders - August 11, 2014
- Work starts on Raritan River dredging project
Project Updates - August 8, 2014
- Mike Hooks Inc awarded Calcasieu River dredging contract
Contracts & Tenders - August 8, 2014
- Cleanup work completed at Waukegan Harbour
Environmental Issues - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- BOEM and East Carolina University sign agreement to evaluate sand resources
Research & Development - August 7, 2014
- Australia: Senate hears plan to use dredged spoil to build airport
News - August 7, 2014
- Kenya: contract signed for Lamu Port project
News - August 7, 2014