Orion Marine unveils latests results
Company News - March 6, 2013
Orion Marine Group has reported net income for the three months ended December 31, 2012, of US$1.5 million (US$0.05 diluted earnings per share).
These results compare to a net loss of US$5.2 million (US$0.19 diluted loss per share) for the same period a year ago. For the full year 2012, Orion Marine Group reported a net loss of US$11.9 million (US$0.44 diluted loss per share), which compares to a 2011 net loss of US$13.1 million (US$0.49 diluted loss per share).
"2012 was a validation of our ability to adapt our operating strategy to the prevailing market conditions," said Mike Pearson, Orion Marine Group's President and Chief Executive Officer. "While several challenging factors continued during 2012, our bidding strategy was successful in growing backlog and increasing equipment utilization. This strategy produced continued gross margin and top line improvement throughout the year and delivered positive quarterly net income for the first time since the beginning of 2011. We are pleased to see the results of all the hard work and dedication from the entire Orion Marine Group team come to fruition in the fourth quarter."
Financial highlights of the company's fourth quarter and full year 2012 include:
• Fourth quarter 2012 contract revenues were US$98.6 million, an increase of 78.3 per cent, as compared with fourth quarter of 2011 revenues of US$55.3 million.
• Gross profit for the quarter was US$12.5 million which represents an increase of US$12.2 million as compared with the fourth quarter of 2011. Gross profit margin for the quarter was 12.7 per cent, which was higher than the prior year period of 0.6 per cent. During the fourth quarter 2012, gross margin improved due to the continued improvement in utilization of construction equipment and several short term private sector projects involving dredging services.
• Selling, General, and Administrative expenses for the fourth quarter 2012 were US$6.8 million as compared to US$7.9 million in the prior year period. The decrease is attributed in part to the reduction of professional fees and continued cost containment measures.
• The company self-performed approximately 83 per cent of its work as measured by cost during the fourth quarter of 2012, as compared with 89 per cent during the prior year period.
• The company's fourth quarter 2012 EBITDA was US$9.4 million, representing a 9.5 per cent EBITDA margin, which compares to fourth quarter 2011 EBITDA of negative US$2.0 million, or a negative 3.6 per cent EBITDA margin.
Full year 2012 contract revenues were US$292.0 million, an increase of 12.4 per cent year-over-year as compared with full year 2011 revenues of US$259.9 million. Gross profit for the year was US$14.4 million, which represents an increase of US$4.1 million as compared with the full year 2011. Gross profit margin for the year was 4.9 per cent, which was up slightly from 3.9 per cent for the full year 2011. The year over year increase in gross profit margin was primarily related to better utilization of equipment, particularly in the second half of the year, and the mix of jobs in progress as compared to the prior year.
The company's full year 2012 EBITDA was US$5.8 million, representing a 1.9 per cent EBITDA margin, which compares to full year 2011 EBITDA of US$3.0 million, or a 1.2 per cent EBITDA margin.
Backlog of work under contract as of December 31, 2012 was US$184.1 million, which compares with backlog under contract at December 31, 2011 of US$164.5 million. The full year 2012 book-to-bill ratio was 1.07 times.
Subsequent to the end of the year, the company has been successful in continuing to obtain additional awards for new work.
More articles from this category
- INTRACOASTAL WATERWAY, JACKSONVILLE TO MIAMI, MAINTENANCE DREDGING
Contracts & Tenders - August 22, 2014
- Sabine Neches Waterway, Sabine Outer Bar and Outer Bank Channels, Hopper Dredging
Contracts & Tenders - August 21, 2014
- Maintenance Dredging, Great South Bay Channel Federal Navigation Project
Contracts & Tenders - August 20, 2014
- US: company seeks permit for recreational facility in New England
Project Updates - August 19, 2014
- UK: work starts on Clacton to Holland-on-Sea coastal defence project
Project Updates - August 18, 2014
- Key role for Doosan excavators in Polish flood control project
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- UK: £3 million investment will improve waterways for boaters
News - August 14, 2014
- Great Lakes Dredging MATOC - Presolicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 13, 2014
- Pipeline Dredging, GIWW between Rollover Pass and Galveston Causeway - Solicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 12, 2014
- LOWER COLUMBIA RIVER SIDE CHANNELS CLAMSHELL DREDGING 2014 - AWARD
Contracts & Tenders - August 11, 2014
- Work starts on Raritan River dredging project
Project Updates - August 8, 2014
- Mike Hooks Inc awarded Calcasieu River dredging contract
Contracts & Tenders - August 8, 2014
- Cleanup work completed at Waukegan Harbour
Environmental Issues - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- BOEM and East Carolina University sign agreement to evaluate sand resources
Research & Development - August 7, 2014