NL Industries files suit over Raritan Bay dredging
News - June 10, 2013
NJ Today reports that NL Industries has filed suit in federal court against Old Bridge Township, the state of New Jersey and the US Army Corps of Engineers in an attempt to force them them to pay to clean up the Raritan Bay Slag Superfund Site.
NL Industries alleges that these so-called “public polluters” are responsible for the majority of the problem at the site because they allowed the use of lead-bearing slag there and did nothing about it for 40 years, causing the initial problem to become eight times larger and much more expensive to address.
The Environmental Protection Agency issued a Record of Decision last month that requires a US$79 million total off-site disposal remedy.
According to a company statement, NL Industries’ only connection to the Raritan Bay site is that a former facility in Perth Amboy might have been one of the places where private developers obtained material they deposited at the site.
According to NH Today's report, NL "never owned or leased any property at the Superfund site, never operated there, never dumped any material there, and played no role in the decision to place lead-bearing material in the water."
More articles from this category
- INTRACOASTAL WATERWAY, JACKSONVILLE TO MIAMI, MAINTENANCE DREDGING
Contracts & Tenders - August 22, 2014
- Sabine Neches Waterway, Sabine Outer Bar and Outer Bank Channels, Hopper Dredging
Contracts & Tenders - August 21, 2014
- Maintenance Dredging, Great South Bay Channel Federal Navigation Project
Contracts & Tenders - August 20, 2014
- US: company seeks permit for recreational facility in New England
Project Updates - August 19, 2014
- UK: work starts on Clacton to Holland-on-Sea coastal defence project
Project Updates - August 18, 2014
- Key role for Doosan excavators in Polish flood control project
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- UK: £3 million investment will improve waterways for boaters
News - August 14, 2014
- Great Lakes Dredging MATOC - Presolicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 13, 2014
- Pipeline Dredging, GIWW between Rollover Pass and Galveston Causeway - Solicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 12, 2014
- LOWER COLUMBIA RIVER SIDE CHANNELS CLAMSHELL DREDGING 2014 - AWARD
Contracts & Tenders - August 11, 2014
- Work starts on Raritan River dredging project
Project Updates - August 8, 2014
- Mike Hooks Inc awarded Calcasieu River dredging contract
Contracts & Tenders - August 8, 2014
- Cleanup work completed at Waukegan Harbour
Environmental Issues - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- BOEM and East Carolina University sign agreement to evaluate sand resources
Research & Development - August 7, 2014