US: high winds slow Anna Maria beach renourishment project
Project Updates - January 8, 2014
The Anna Maria Island reports that Great Lakes Dredge and Dock resumed the Anna Maria Island beach renourishment project on December 30th after a strong west wind December 26-29 forced the company to move its barge and pumping station from the Gulf of Mexico to calmer waters in Tampa Bay, halting beach renourishment efforts.
Having resumed operations on 30 December a cold front on 2 January again brought a strong west wind and 5-6ft choppy surf, halting operations. The company did some work on 1 January1.
Manatee County Parks and Natural Resources director Charlie Hunsicker said that although the project was expected to go 24/7 from the start, weather is the deciding factor for Great Lakes to halt its operations.
Strong westerly winds and high waves would do more harm to the project than good, Hunsicker said. Those conditions could easily disrupt dredging and separate the pipes bringing sand to the beach.
Great Lakes currently is nourishing the beach from its starting point at the 60th Street beach access northward to the 72nd Street beach access. The company will pump and smooth sand up to 79th Street, then begin work south of the 60th Street access.
The Islander said that, under its contract with the US Army Corps of Engineers, Great Lakes is supposed to finish the project, builiding the beach southward to Coquina Beach, within 60 days of its December 20 start.
More articles from this category
- Maintenance Dredging, Great South Bay Channel Federal Navigation Project
Contracts & Tenders - August 20, 2014
- US: company seeks permit for recreational facility in New England
Project Updates - August 19, 2014
- UK: work starts on Clacton to Holland-on-Sea coastal defence project
Project Updates - August 18, 2014
- Key role for Doosan excavators in Polish flood control project
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- UK: £3 million investment will improve waterways for boaters
News - August 14, 2014
- Great Lakes Dredging MATOC - Presolicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 13, 2014
- Pipeline Dredging, GIWW between Rollover Pass and Galveston Causeway - Solicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 12, 2014
- LOWER COLUMBIA RIVER SIDE CHANNELS CLAMSHELL DREDGING 2014 - AWARD
Contracts & Tenders - August 11, 2014
- Work starts on Raritan River dredging project
Project Updates - August 8, 2014
- Mike Hooks Inc awarded Calcasieu River dredging contract
Contracts & Tenders - August 8, 2014
- Cleanup work completed at Waukegan Harbour
Environmental Issues - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- BOEM and East Carolina University sign agreement to evaluate sand resources
Research & Development - August 7, 2014
- Australia: Senate hears plan to use dredged spoil to build airport
News - August 7, 2014
- Kenya: contract signed for Lamu Port project
News - August 7, 2014