Mega cutter suction dredger D'Artagnan formally named
New Vessels - October 26, 2005
On October 21st the mega self-propelled cutter suction dredger D'Artagnan, which was built for Société de Dragage International (SDI), part of Dredging, Environmental & Marine Engineering (DEME), was formally named in Dunkirk, France. The new vessel was built by IHC Holland.
SDI and IHC Holland Dredgers signed a contract for the construction of D'Artagnan in December 2003. Construction started in mid-2004, the dredger was launched on 22nd April 2005 and delivery took place on September 28th 2005.
D'Artagnan can dredge to a depth of 35m, and is equipped with two inboard dredge pumps and one submerged dredge pump on the cutter ladder. The dredged material can be pumped ashore through a 1,000mm discharge pipe.
The ship is equipped with a modern barge loading system which can load barges moored alongside the dredger. The spud carriage was built by IHC according to a completely new design. It includes among other things a buffer system which enables dredging for a longer period under unfavourable weather conditions.
The dredger is equipped with two propellers (3,700kW each) that can generate a speed of nearly 12.5 knots.
D'Artganan is a very flexible vessel which has been specially equipped to work in a variety of different material, and is designed for better performance in swell than existing vessels of this type.
The vessel has a high level of automation, large pumping capacity and is designed to be environmentally-friendly in operation.
More articles from this category
- Sabine Neches Waterway, Sabine Outer Bar and Outer Bank Channels, Hopper Dredging
Contracts & Tenders - August 21, 2014
- Maintenance Dredging, Great South Bay Channel Federal Navigation Project
Contracts & Tenders - August 20, 2014
- US: company seeks permit for recreational facility in New England
Project Updates - August 19, 2014
- UK: work starts on Clacton to Holland-on-Sea coastal defence project
Project Updates - August 18, 2014
- Key role for Doosan excavators in Polish flood control project
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- UK: £3 million investment will improve waterways for boaters
News - August 14, 2014
- Great Lakes Dredging MATOC - Presolicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 13, 2014
- Pipeline Dredging, GIWW between Rollover Pass and Galveston Causeway - Solicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 12, 2014
- LOWER COLUMBIA RIVER SIDE CHANNELS CLAMSHELL DREDGING 2014 - AWARD
Contracts & Tenders - August 11, 2014
- Work starts on Raritan River dredging project
Project Updates - August 8, 2014
- Mike Hooks Inc awarded Calcasieu River dredging contract
Contracts & Tenders - August 8, 2014
- Cleanup work completed at Waukegan Harbour
Environmental Issues - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- BOEM and East Carolina University sign agreement to evaluate sand resources
Research & Development - August 7, 2014
- Australia: Senate hears plan to use dredged spoil to build airport
News - August 7, 2014