St Marys River cleanup continues
Environmental Issues - October 18, 2006
Associated Press (AP) reports that an US$8 million clean-up of contaminated sediments from the St Marys River in Michigan in the US is beginning its second month.
The clean-up of contamination from a former leather tannery is a co-operative venture of the US Environmental Protection Agency, the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality and Phelps-Dodge, present owner of the property.
AP said dredging will continue on a 15-acre site just offshore of the old tannery property until late November.
If the work isnít finished by then, it will be delayed until next spring.
The clean-up plan calls for removal, separation and treatment of 40,000 cubic yards of material which eventually will go to a landfill.
The EPA estimates about 500,000 pounds of chromium and 25 pounds of mercury were dumped by the leather tannery during its 60-year operation.
The company closed after a fire in 1958.
More articles from this category
- Sabine Neches Waterway, Sabine Outer Bar and Outer Bank Channels, Hopper Dredging
Contracts & Tenders - August 21, 2014
- Maintenance Dredging, Great South Bay Channel Federal Navigation Project
Contracts & Tenders - August 20, 2014
- US: company seeks permit for recreational facility in New England
Project Updates - August 19, 2014
- UK: work starts on Clacton to Holland-on-Sea coastal defence project
Project Updates - August 18, 2014
- Key role for Doosan excavators in Polish flood control project
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- UK: £3 million investment will improve waterways for boaters
News - August 14, 2014
- Great Lakes Dredging MATOC - Presolicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 13, 2014
- Pipeline Dredging, GIWW between Rollover Pass and Galveston Causeway - Solicitation
Contracts & Tenders - August 12, 2014
- LOWER COLUMBIA RIVER SIDE CHANNELS CLAMSHELL DREDGING 2014 - AWARD
Contracts & Tenders - August 11, 2014
- Work starts on Raritan River dredging project
Project Updates - August 8, 2014
- Mike Hooks Inc awarded Calcasieu River dredging contract
Contracts & Tenders - August 8, 2014
- Cleanup work completed at Waukegan Harbour
Environmental Issues - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- BOEM and East Carolina University sign agreement to evaluate sand resources
Research & Development - August 7, 2014
- Australia: Senate hears plan to use dredged spoil to build airport
News - August 7, 2014